I know, Nicolas Cage. Writing’s hard.
I fondly remember a few months ago when I said I’d write a blog to chronicle my journeys as a budding filmmaker at FSU. And then I forgot. Often. For the first three weeks of school. So, to those who’d like to know (those who don’t are free to leave now, just please don’t wake the neighbors), here’s more or less what I’ve been up to for three weeks.
1. Forgetting to write this blog. I think we’ve covered that.
2. Films are so easy to make! Wrong. That’s incorrect. It’s infinitely more complicated than you think. Those behind-the-scenes features you watched the last time you used a DVD? They make it look so easy, but in reality they’re wizards dressed to look like people who make movies.
That being said, I love it here. We start the semester with six weeks (we’re now at the halfway mark) of crash course training on the art of movie making and then spend the rest of the semester making movies. It’s hard work, no doubt, but it’s challenging and fulfilling. Plus, the end product is a movie, so that’s not half-bad.
3. Apartment living brings all sorts of adventure. When the dryer door went on strike, I found a 24-hour laundromat. When the shower went on strike, the landlord let us use the vacant suite next door for our various water-related needs until it was fixed.
The raccoon that dines in our dumpster is the size of the average 2nd grader.
There’s never a dull moment at my new home, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
4. You can order Jimmy John’s online. Maybe the worst discovery I could’ve ever made. I’m having to fight the urge to order a sub right now. And I’m kind of losing. Someone hide my wallet, please.
5. No regrets, whatsoever. I’m in mountains of student debt, sure. I don’t have bags of money in my closet and I haven’t stumbled on a distant relative willing to turn Charles Dickens-style benefactor and wipe away all my financial woes. I still can’t figure out the transit schedule. But every day, I wake up and get to do something I love. What more could I ask for?
Maybe bags of money? Jimmy John’s? Wait, bags of Jimmy John’s!? Alright, there is at least one more thing I could ask for.
– Nic Sridej